Taken en verantwoordelijkheden
As a Backend Web Developer at Coolblue you will make sure our web shops are ridiculously fast and meticulously kept.
What you tell your friends you do
"I write code and help build webshops. No, I don't use l33t speak."
What you will really be doing
- Coming up with new functionalities and building them.
- Improving the quality of the PHP code that runs over 300 web shops.
- Improving the user-friendliness of all of those web shops.
- Working in teams, consisting of 5 (+/- 1) Developers and Designers.
How will you be doing this?
- You are an all-rounder in a Scrum team. You will have your own specialization, but you will also be able to perform all other tasks within the team.
- You prioritize your own work together with your team and the Product Owner.
- You will receive immediate feedback from end users and you will have a lot of opportunities to experiment.
- You will be using the right tools for whatever job will be thrown at you. Choices that were made in the past are not rules.
- You will work at PHP codebase, introducing best coding practises and principles.
- You will work in a motivated team to meet ambitious deadlines. There is always a budget for good ideas.
- Data is your guru, your gut feeling isn't. To measure is to know.
- You will actively coach and continuously provide feedback to your team members.
What a day in the office might look like
You work with Rafael, a medior developer who works in your team, at some improvements on the review page. The controller of the page is a 5 years old piece of code in PHP 5.6. Even if you are not an expert with that language, you notice that some logic in there should belong to a different layer. You ask Rafael what he thinks about that and in a while you start refactoring the code together, creating some tests for the controller and moving the logic to the new layer. Rafael opens a Pull Request for that and Donatas, a medior developer of another team, gives thumbs up, merging the changes. The terrain is now more solid and you start building the actual improvement. You suggest to go for TDD and Rafael is super happy to create the first test for the functionality. It fails, it’s normal, you haven’t create the functionality yet! Step by step you and Rafael manage to finish the story.
Since the weather is fine, you go for a fast sandwich with the whole team in the sunny Central Station square. There you discover that two junior developers, Bart and Paul, are working hard at another story which turns out to be harder than estimated. When you get back in the office, you sit down with them in front of the agile board and you create altogether a better plan of attack, breaking the story in smaller tasks. Then you meet other developers interested on introducing BDD. You share the experience you have with a couple of tools and altogether you decide to create a proof of concept for testing PHPSpec.
You will be working in a team with four to seven other Developers, each of them with their own specialization, ranging from backend to UX design. Your team will work with a Team Lead and a Product Owner. One of the developers (potentially even you) is also acting as a Scrum Master. You and another team are part of a family, so you’re both responsible for one specific domain of Coolblue.
Required experience & skills
- Minimum of five years experience as a web developer with one or more object oriented programming language (for example: PHP, C#, Java, Ruby, Python, etc).
- You're able to solve problems using accepted best practices and principles like SOLID and design patterns.
- You're experienced when it comes to improving your colleagues craftsmanship and technical skills.
- You care about code quality.
- You know how to automate recurring development steps and implement them in continuous integration and deployment systems.
- Scrum/Agile way of working is almost your second nature.
- You understand and investigate what a user wants and feels.
- Experience in working with large codebases is a plus.
- Knowledge of Clean (Onion) architecture and PaaS is a plus.
- Willing to become a PHP expert (if you are not yet).
- Willing to relocate to Rotterdam (or to reasonable daily travel distance).
- To help you keep your money, we also chip in on your pension, pay for your travels and offer a discount on all the stuff we sell.
- Room for you to do things your way.
- Heartwarming help with the international relocation process from start to finish..
- Lots of things you can learn through our Coolcademy & skilled sparring partners.
- 25 days of paid leave, so long as you promise to come back!
- We like to inspire your passion giving you the opportunity to visit events.
- An office in the heart of Rotterdam so there's plenty to do when you're not at work.
- And yes, we also have the industry standard perks such as free beer, ping pong tables, great lunch, team activities and awesome parties.